Thursday 5 March 2015

What are you reading?

I can't be without a book.  I feel bereft if I have nothing good to read, and it does happen. Sometimes with a house full of books, I can't find anything I want to read.
The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton is one of my most recent reads and it was wonderfully absorbing.  I couldn't wait to get to the end of the day to settle down and read before going to bed.
It's the story of a Dutch merchant and his young bride in late 17th century Amsterdam. It features a miniaturist - a craftsperson who makes miniature houses, people and furniture.  Normally I don't enjoy historical novels, especially the ones that do the fake 'olde worlde' language.  I find that tedious. But this book is different. The prose is beautiful and the read is compelling,  I found it hard to put down.
What are you reading? Tell me.

2 comments:

  1. Currently reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters. Read The Miniaturist - felt a bit disappointed with the ending though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look for The Miniaturist tomorrow at the library. Thanks for the tip! I'm the same way about needing a book. I recently finished The Good German by Joseh Kanon, also historical fiction--set in Berlin after the end of WWII. I had recently visited Berlin and enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete