Saturday, 22 February 2014

The Liberty Quilt - Still working on it...

All the fabric cut into narrower strips.

I've promised myself that I will finish this quilt by Easter.  I was working on it last January, starting with great enthusiasm and descending into  great disappointment. However I arranged the stripes they did not seem right.  The darks stood out too much and the lights seemed insipid.  There did not seem to be an arrangement that would accommodate them.

 Deciding I would never be happy with, I left it for awhile until I could find a solution.

The original construction, which was not working.

Inspired by a quilt I saw on a blog (I can't find the source so I can't show it.), I decided to do something that will look a little like a modern log cabin. I  cut all the strips lengthways to make narrower bands (2' to 4" wide) and stitched them together again, ensuring that they were nicely mixed.

Cutting each strip into narrower bands.

The strips re-stitched.

I then cut them into squares.  I think the 12" squares are too large, so i am in the process of cutting them into 6" squares. All very time consuming, but I hope it will be worth all the effort in the end. 

I cut the strips into squares.

The next step will be using the Kona cotton cream (seen in background) to complete them.  I should end up with squares made of two triangles, one patterned and one plain.  The patterned triangle with be the bottom corner and the plain triangle will be the top. Watch this space.


  1. Oh my, that looks like so much work. This quilt is going to be fabulous!
    You have real talent, I think I may have given up. Cannot wait to see what you come up with!

  2. Wowee that looks like a lot of hard work. I cannot wait to see it finished. I love patch work and the colours you have chosen are great