Saturday 19 October 2013

Ina's Chocolate Chunk Blondies - Make these for the weekend!

Ina's Chocolate Chunk Blondies

I am a great fan of Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa.  This recipe is a good alternative to brownies.  It contains two of my favourite ingredients - chocolate and walnuts. Blondies are great with a cup of tea or coffee, a glass of milk, American style, or served with ice cream for a dessert.

The most important thing to remember is not to over bake them.  I'm afraid I did over bake this batch, mainly because my oven was too hot.  Next time, I will go down a notch and see if that is better.

To make the blondies, you need chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.  I've discovered a good place to buy American goodies in London called Melbury and Appleton.  They are located in Islington, London, but I buy online.  However, I did not have enough chocolate chips for this recipe, so I bashed up some dark chocolate in a plastic bag.  Works well.

Ina's Chocolate Chunk Blondies

(This recipe can also be used for cookies.)
8 oz butter, softened
1 cup soft light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 extra large eggs at room temperature
2 cups regular, plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (I bash them in a plastic bag with a meat mallet.)
8 - 12 oz chocolate chunks

Cream the butter and sugars.
Add the eggs and beat well.
Add the vanilla
Then sift the dry ingredients and add gently.
Finally, add the nuts and chocolate and stir in.,

Put the mixture in a greased and floured tin 8 x 12 x 2 inches.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C or 350 F for 30 minutes.  Do not over bake.  The centre should be soft. (If you have a fan assisted oven, like mine, you might want to try baking them at 170 C or 325 F.)
Cool, remove from tin and cut into squares.


I used French chocolate, picked up at French supermarket.




Here's what it looks like.  I used two bars (about 8 oz.)




No comments:

Post a Comment