Monday 16 June 2014

Striped Cushions

The striped cushion is enhanced by its surroundings.
Recently, after sitting on the fabric for months,  I made these striped cushions for my daughter using black and white ticking and black bias binding for the piped edges.
Here they are in situ, along with her other lovely things.  I asked her to take the photos at home as they look much better in her tidy, designer-ish sitting room than they would in the scramble of family history that is ours.
We are both very pleased with the cushions. The black piping  looks professional.  It is my feeling that although plain cushions are more modern, they don't have the finesse that these do.  I was inspired to use piping by her tropical print cushion (seen  on the left, but not made by me).  For the cushion bases, I used some very ugly printed pillows from a French supermarket. These were easy to disguise by covering them with two corners of an old white duvet cover that had started to pill. I only had to sew two seams on the machine so the pattern would not show through.  Finally,  I inserted zips into the backs of the cushions so that the covers can come off easily for cleaning.  Job done.




Two black and one black and white cushion on the chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment