Sunday 10 June 2012

A Little Bit of Crochet in Granny Stripes

This little bit of crochet is thanks to Lucy at http://attic24.typepad.com.  It was her granny stripe blanket that inspired me.  You can find the pattern, as well as lots of other wonderful crochet, on her blog.

I decided to break with tradition and take my crochet to the knitting group.  For me, crochet is much easier than knitting as I can spot mistakes instantly and rectify them.  
Recently, I got totally fed up making a scarf horizontally ( hundreds of stitches) when I discovered mistakes in the first rows which I couldn't fix. I also decided to do a small project and hence, this will be a small blanket, about cot size. It may not take me a year to finish it! And if it works well, I may try a larger one.

I started with three balls of wool that I already had. Two were Rowan merino wool and the other was a French equivalent.


I took these to France with me when we had a short break and added a few more colours.  


These are not pure wool, unfortunately, but they have some wool content and the crochet hook size is the same.  At first I tried hot pink and a very bright purple as well, but they did not work so they have been stashed away for another project. I think the variety of colours in this still make it unisex.

Here are all the colours:


I think they work well.  I have now completed about 1/4 of the blanket. I did quite a lot in France where it is very pleasant to sit and crochet without guilt about all the other things that need doing.  Since returning, however, I have managed 2 or 3 stripes at each meeting of the knitting group (too much chat), and a few at home in front of the TV when we are not reading subtitles.  (Enjoying BBC4s foreign thrillers on Saturday evenings.) Anyway, there is no rush and I am enjoying the making of it.  I hope to finish it in the summer when we are in France again.

4 comments:

  1. never have master the crochet thing but it would work with knitting too I would imagine I have started a knitted blanket with squares but I afraid I lost patience and have now just got a big bag of squares to assemble, it was that that put me off. I shall have to finish it though as what will I do in my bath chair with no blanket

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crochet blanket is looking good - and the colours go so well.

    Also - Betsy - what fun - I also had something similar - though not as well dressed (cut from newspaper and coloured with crayons).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I love the colors you are using in the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! Love the colors and the beautiful stripes!

    ReplyDelete