Saturday 15 December 2012

Retro 50's Tea Towel Apron

Fabric called 'Urne' by Sanderson, printed in the 1950's

This apron was quick and easy to make.  For me, it is a little bit of nostalgia.

My original intention was to use the towel in landscape, but the print goes one way, so I cut it to length and added a coordinating fabric for the tie and pockets. There is a piece of the tea towel left to make a pot holder should I get around to it.



What inspired me was remembering the church bazaars and Christmas fetes of my childhood.  There were always lots of aprons, some charming and some really quite extraordinary, like the bar/barbeque aprons for men which tied at the waist and were split into two to resemble trousers.  Each part tied around a trouser leg. I'm sure I have one somewhere in the loft along with a Christmas-themed apron which I used to wear each year.  Maybe I'll find them and blog them next year. The loft is a scary place, packed with long-forgotten items and I have no burning desire to go there before Christmas.



Another view


Tied with a pretty bow at the back, it is certainly reminiscent of the 1950's.


Add a wooden spoon tied with a cheeky ribbon and it makes a lovely gift.


1 comment: