Tuesday 20 November 2012

Mac and Cheese - My Way

A serving of macaroni cheese with salad.
One of my family's favourite meals is macaroni cheese - my way.  While I was in the USA one magazine had seven recipe variations for this dish, but stupidly, I forgot to tear the pages out and bring them home. Never mind.  I don't think I can improve on this one.  This is not bragging.  My husband and son love it and so does my son's girlfriend.  It all disappears in one sitting.

I double the recipe for four of us (should feed eight) and I am not allowed to say 'No thirds' to anyone. The recipe is based on one from a book called 'Modern Approach to Everyday Cooking', which I follow for butter and milk,  but I cut down on the cheese. Still, be warned.  It is not low calorie.  Here's how to make it.

Ingredients: (for a single recipe)

7 oz macaroni
3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
dash of cayenne
2 cups milk (16 oz)
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese plus some for topping
1 tin whole or chopped tomatoes
a sprinkle of oregano

Make the sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan. 
Add the flour and stir until mixed in.
Add the salt, pepper, mustard and cayenne.
Take off the heat and add the milk and whisk until smooth and bubbling.
Remove from heat and add most of the grated cheese.
Cover and leave until macaroni is cooked.
Cook the macaroni until it is al dente  (about 1 minute less than it says on the packet).
Drain and add the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly. 
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish.
Make little holes with a spoon and put a bit of tomato into each hole.  Save the juice for another dish.
Top the dish with the rest of the grated Cheddar.
Bake at 180 degrees centigrade until the top is nicely browned and the rest is bubbling.
Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.


Ready for the oven


Serve with a crispy salad


Bon appétit!

1 comment:

  1. Our family also likes macaroni cheese and I do cook it almost the same way but use fresh tomatoes which I slice on the top and brown. Also yummy.

    ReplyDelete